According to the Pew Internet Project, 67% of cell owners find themselves checking their phone for messages, alerts, or calls — even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating; 44% of cell owners have slept with their phone next to their bed because they wanted to make sure they didn’t miss any calls, text messages, or other updates during the night: and 29% of cell owners describe their cell phone as “something they can’t imagine living without” (actually, we suspect that number is significantly higher based on what we see in meetings and public places).
Welcome to our new What’s On Your Phone? feature where we ask Baylor alumni about their mobile-phone use (and occasionally add some links or explanations to help you decide if you want to check them out).
First up is BAA Director James Nortey ‘08, an attorney at Duggins Wren Mann & Romero LLP in Austin, TX, who is also involved as community advocate in a number of political, neighborhood, and civic associations.
- Current phone (and how often do you change/upgrade: iPhone 5s (update every two years).
- Lots of icons and folders on your home screen or not many?
- Number of unread e-mails: Three (3)
- Search engine of choice: Google
- First app checked in the morning: Mail
- Last app checked before bedtime: Pocket (application that helps people save interesting articles, videos, and more from the web for later enjoyment. Once saved to Pocket, the list of content is visible on any device. It’s the world’s leading save-for-later service with 22MM+ registered users).
- Most used app: Hearthstone (fast-paced strategy card game).
- App most likely to be viewed while in a checkout line: Facebook
- Most essential app while traveling: Apple Maps
- Cities listed in weather app: Austin, San Antonio, Boston
- Favorite podcast: Texas Tribune
- Most surprising app you depend on: FitBit, Bible, and DuoLingo
- Person you FaceTime most often: Girlfriend
- Most common Siri command: “Directions to…”
Most listened-to artist on iTunes or Spotify or whatever other service you use: Michael Jackson
- Outgoing voicemail message: “You have reached the voicemail box of James Nortey. Unfortunately, I’m unable to receive your call right now, but if you would leave your name, number, and a brief message I will call you back as soon as possible.”
- App I wish someone would invent: Video/Audio Transcription and Search Service.
- Average amount of data you use each month: Unlimited Data Plan from back in the days of unlimited data.
- Frequency of charging: Every evening.
If you know someone who would be a great candidate for What’s On your Phone, please send us a note at [email protected]