What in the wild, wild world of sports is a-goin’ on? Like every other industry, COVID has impacted the world of sports in major ways. What do some of those changes look like and what can we expect for the rest of the football season in 2020?
In this episode, Jon discusses how to follow football in the crazy year that is 2020 and what to watch for from Baylor, how to feel excited about a football season full of uncertainty, and how high school and college athletes are responding to racial injustice and making waves across the sports industry with Shehan Jeyarajah.
Shehan Jeyarajah wasn’t born into a sports family, but found his way home quickly thanks to a little help from some mediocre mid-2000s Chicago Bulls teams. He didn’t grow up a college football fan, but fell in love with the culture of the sport after going to college at Baylor, where he graduated in 2016. Before joining DCTF, Shehan covered Big 12 and SEC football with Cox Media Group, contributed to Dallas Morning News coverage of Baylor and had work appear in Sports Illustrated, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Austin American-Statesman, among others. He and his wife, Bhargavi, live in the Dallas area.
In this episode, you will hear—
- How the COVID-19 Pandemic has changed the current college football season
- What it’s like to be a sports writer during such an unprecedented, often virtual time
- What to watch for during the remainder of Baylor’s football season
- How high school and college football players across Texas are taking stands against racial injustice
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Shehan Jeyarajah’s Bio
- Read Shehan’s coverage & reporting
- Read: “Texas High School Athletes Finding Voice On Racial Injustice” by Shehan Jeyarajah
- Follow Shehan on Twitter
Have you reviewed Direct Line?
If you haven’t reviewed our podcast yet, would you do that right now? You are our very best source for new listeners! And, we’d love to hear your thoughts. You can post your review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. We’re eager to hear from you and we do read every single review. Good, bad, or indifferent, your review helps us make the podcast better and remain your voice in the Baylor Family!