By Michael Martinez
The Baylor Alumni Association (BAA) will host its first Hall of Fame awards presentation on Friday, January 21, 2011. The event will be held at the Phoenix Ballroom, located at 401 South 3rd Street in Downtown Waco at 6:30 p.m.
The BAA Hall of Fame will include a formal dinner, entertainment, and awards presentations. All proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the Baylor Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship Program. “This event is designed to celebrate our current award recipients, as well as honor past recipients,” said Jan Dodd, assistant director of programs and awards. “Also we will highlight the 2010-11 Baylor Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship recipients.”
Emily Tinsley, BAA board of directors president, stated, “The Baylor Alumni Association celebrates extraordinary alumni every day, but this landmark new event will take our long standing alumni awards program to a higher level. In one festive occasion, we will commemorate Baylor alumni — past, present, and future — who typify the best of The Baylor Line in which each of us proudly has a place.”
Tickets to the Baylor Alumni Association Hall of Fame awards celebration are $75 for individual tickets, and information about individual underwriter tables and donations is available by contacting Shari Brewer at [email protected] or 254-710-1207. Seating for the event is limited, and we anticipate a capacity crowd, so we encourage people to respond as promptly as possible.
Eight of the nine awards bestowed by the BAA will be given out at the ceremony, including the prestigious Distinguished Alumni Awards.
The awards, and the recipients of each award, are listed below.
Distinguished Alumni Award
• Dr. Gerald Cobb ’50, Chair of the Board, Woodforest National Bank
• Timothy Hale ’84, Senior Vice President of Design Management and Marketing, Fossil
• Michael Johnson ’90, Thirteen-time Olympic and World Champion
• Dr. Patricia Mathes ’84, Director of the Institute for Evidence-Based Education, Southern Methodist University
• Maj. General David Rubenstein, MHA ’89, Commanding General, U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School
W. R. White Meritorious Service Award
• Caroll Dawson ’60, General Manager, Houston Rockets, retired
• Calvin Smith, Executive Director, Western Heritage Museum Complex
• Bob ’46, MA ’47, and Anna Smith Wright ’47, Partners, Wright Brand Foods, retired
Price Daniel Distinguished Public Service Award
• Marvin Watson ’49, MA ’50, U.S. Postmaster General, retired
Abner V. McCall Religious Liberty Award
• Dr. Derek Davis ’72, JD ’73, MA ’88, Dean of Graduate School, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
Abner V. McCall Humanitarian Award
• Dr. Calvin McKaig ’58, MD ’64, Physician, retired
George W. Truett Distinguished Church Service Award
• Marv Knox, editor, Baptist Standard
• Dr. Randall O’Brien, President, Carson-Newman College
Herbert H. Reynolds Outstanding Young Alumni Award
• Brian Clark ’00, Hydrologist, U.S. Geological Survey
• Kristen Cox ’94, President and CEO, 16×9 Production
• Chase Palmer ’96, JD ’98, Attorney, Palmer Law Firm
• Sophia Young ’06, WNBA Player
First Families of Baylor Award
• The Abney Family