The Nominating Committee of the Baylor Alumni Association is recommending the approval of this list of candidates to serve the BAA’s membership as officers and directors. The Executive Committee of the BAA Board has asked Tom Nesbitt to stay on as president for 30 days until July 1, 2016, to complete his duties related to the settlement agreement and to provide for an orderly transition to the new president.
President (2016-17): Fred R. Norton, Jr., ‘80, JD ’83, a tax attorney in Texarkana, Texas, was president of the Baylor Alumni Association in 2003. He is a trustee of HighGround Advisors (formerly the Baptist Foundation of Texas) and vice president of the Southern Region of the Boy Scouts of America.
- President-Elect (2017-18): Stan Schleuter ’69 is owner of the Schleuter Group, an Austin political consulting company. He is a real-estate investor, a member of both the “B” Association and the Baylor Bear Foundation, and was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1976-1989.
- Treasurer (2016-17): James W Nelson III ’04 of Waco is a SVP and Branch Manager of Community Bank & Trust. James has served as BAA Treasurer since October 2013.
- Secretary (2016-17): Shelba Shelton Jones ’76 of Dallas is a retired CPA.
- Jan Huggins Barry ’72 of Arlington, TX, is a community volunteer who is retired from Southwestern Bell and AT&T
- George Cowden III, BA ’76, JD ’78, is an attorney from San Antonio.
- Jack K. Dillard BBA ’72 JD 73, of Austin/Houston recently retired after a 40-year career as a corporate attorney/lobbyist.
- Laura H. Hallmon ’96. JD ’99 of Fort Worth is a partner in the Fort Worth office of Cantey Hanger LLP, specializing in labor and employment law.
- Roland Johnson ’76, JD ’79, of Fort Worth is a lawyer at Harris, Finley and Bogle P.C.
- Mac Jones ’95 of Austin is a partner at Hammond Jones Development.
- Shelba Shelton Jones ’76 of Dallas is a retired CPA. She is also running for election as the BAA’s Secretary for the first time.
- David Malone ’73 of Austin is the president and CEO of 1st Choice Energy.
- Michael Merz ’05 of Brookline, MA, is a graduate of the Baylor Honors Program (with Distinction) and is currently an orthopedic surgery hip preservation fellow at Boston Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
- Brandon B. A. Miller ’94 of Oshkosh, Wisconsin serves as an Associate Vice Chancellor/Chief Enrollment Management Officer at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Brandon also serves as the permanent president for the Class of 1994.
- James W Nelson III ’04 of Waco is a SVP and Branch Manager of Community Bank & Trust. He is also running for re-election as the BAA’s treasurer.
- Tom Nesbitt ’94 is a partner in the Austin law firm of DeShazo and Nesbitt LLP, specializing in commercial and employment litigation and labor and employment consulting. He is the current president of the BAA, and will assume the officer role of Past President once the litigation and conversion has taken place.
- James Nortey ’08 of Austin, TX is an attorney at Duggins Wren Mann & Romero LLP. He is also involved as community advocate in a number of political, neighborhood, and civic associations.
- Fred R. Norton, Jr., BBA ‘80, JD ‘83, is a tax attorney in Texarkana, TX.
- Lyndon Olson ‘76 of Waco is the former chairman and CEO of Travelers Insurance Holdings and former U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Sweden. He is vice chairman of the Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation and Presidential Library; a trustee of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Austin; chairman of the Baylor Scott and White Health Plan; and chairman of the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in Dallas.
- Jay Propes ’90 of Austin is a political/strategic consultant and lobbyist with nearly 25 years of public-affairs experience at the state and federal levels.
- J. Andrew Rice ’75 of Dayton, TX, is president of Public Management, Inc., a planning, management and financial consulting business serving local government and not-for-profit entities
- Nicole Williams Robinson ’97 of Garland, TX, is an account executive for L’Oreal USA, Active Cosmetics Division.
- Stacy Mays Sharp ‘76, of Amarillo, TX, is president of Mays Inc., a family-owned business that specializes in property and asset management, real estate development, and the rehabilitation of distressed assets.
- Justin D. Sieker ‘12 of Dallas is a 2017 MBA candidate at SMU.
- Emily George Tinsley ’61, of Houston, TX, is a former regent of Baylor University and a past president and recent secretary of BAA. In Houston she serves on the Memorial Hermann Healthcare System Board and has been a board member of many other not-for-profit organizations.
This slate will be presented to the membership for approval at the Annual Meeting on June 11, 2016. The meeting will be held at the Waco Hippodrome and will begin at 10 am.